Friday, September 26, 2008

Showers in the time of Cholera

I'm going on week three with no city water. And that would be all fine and good, as I have a reserve water tank -however - our pump has been broken and reworked badly to where, it pumps out all of the water from the tank... In addition, something happened with the wiring of the hot water heater - so even when there is Zesa or the geni is running there is no hot water.

The reason for no city water is roughly in the ballpark of there being a cholera problem and there's not money to treat the water;therefore a shutting down of three weeks should clear that right up!!! There's some logic!!! Although there was some speculation that with the foreign press corps being allowed in country for the first time in years - that's where all the water went - in that they would report things in Zim were fine!!!!

To say all that to say - I'm not complaining - one learns to adapt - and in my case - that means taking a bucket of water from my pool and setting it down on the shower floor and using the "cup method" to shower. There's also bucket in the loo to keep that "flowing" as well as a tupperware tub next to the sink for washing hands. And that means my dishes have been washed with pool water for that amount of time. And it's all good!

There is great hospitality and shower-sharing (not in a dodgy way) among the community!! About every four days or so - I go on a shower walkabout and show up at someone's house begging! This is why in my bag there is always a small pouch with shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and razor my microfibre towel.

Needless to say, my time in Joburg this week has been spent taking lots of showers, washing my hands to an OCD extreme and even marveling in the flushing process!!!

And yet - I find myself missing Zim!!!