Thursday, February 19, 2009

who needs Dali with this surrealistic life?

So it’s the weekend after Valentine’s day. I had a relaxing one over in Gweru, chilling in “resort” Africa. I still prefer the wildness of the bush and long to get back there!

In all the struggles I see about me and all the struggles I’ve felt personally, I’ve finally begun to turn the corner to make peace with my life here. Realizing, with humility, that my struggles were really MINE, and just deep down gunk that I hadn’t dealt with as a grown-up. The solitude and harshness of the land, has pushed those to the surface, and thus begins the process of once again, shedding and struggling against the lobster shell, to be vulnerable to grow into my bigger one.

We have a new gardener, that makes 2! And no maid. He needed work and my housemate is kind. I was a bit freaked, with good reason – that’s how robbers get you – play on your sympathy and then case your joint. But when I met him, I was overwhelmed and so glad we have him part time. He is old and kind and like everyone else, just trying to get by. I had to go into the house, close the door and just collapse in anger and frustration at the damn government who are liars and murderous thieves who are crazy paranoid to see insurgency all around, when people are just trying to LIVE THROUGH THE DAY. Damn them for making people desperate enough to beg and steal and harden my heart from really helping where I can. Vigilance is one thing – hardness is another. Add that scale to my heart that needs to be softened.

Only in Zim….we were flagged by a policeman on the road. He was friendly and chatty and then wanted a beer from our cooler. (Better than asking for forex, which I’m LOATHE to part with), oh that I had a camera – add that to my weekly surrealism.