Monday, July 28, 2008

Officio Africa

Finally - six months in the making - and I'm a Zim resident. Doubtless there will be a time when I will write with wit and poetic language. As I'm on an hour at an internet cafe - bullet points will have to do!!

Jet Lag
While I'm sure Australian or Asian jet lag is monstrous - jet lag to the southern portion of Africa is pure hell. By the time I hit Jo-burg, I was just dizzy on my feet!!! But all my luggage arrived intact so that was lovely!!! Fond memories of the new terminal 5 at Heathrow which now has a KRISPY KREME!! (joy and joyness)

Spiders
I've apparently come a long way since my growing up in Florida days upon which I freaked out at every spider. Now there is one living in my shower and three in my room (which is palatial in size). So instead of freaking out - I chose to make them a deal - everyone stays out my way and everyone can live!!!

Money
All of you are capable of reading a news
wires (or whatever your means of news gathering is) so you would have heard about the “inflation” here. And if you’re like me – you’ve read it and have no clue what all the rates really mean. So, here’s a solid example. As of this week (and it’ll change again by the weekend) 1 trillion dollars = US 10. So, if you’re trying to shop with a bunch of 50 billion dollar notes (roughly 50 cents worth), 20 of those = 1 trillion. Whew!!! So – I bought 3 baskets at the flea market this weekend – and he wanted 2 trillion – I talked him down to 1.5, roughly 15 dollars and 30 of the bills I had. Yes, I feel like a drug lord carrying all that cash!!!!

School

We’ve only had country orientation – all faculty starts meetings on Thursday, then dept meetings. Again, I’m the head of my dept – so I will spend from this afternoon on, sorting, planning and decorating. The school and theatre are beyond gorgeous!!! I have FLIES and TRAP DOORS and beyond brilliant theatre managers!!!

Domboshava

Last Sunday after the brunch with the Zebras, we went to Domboshava national park – these large rock formations put there by God that overlooks for miles!! It’s an ancient place; Shona bushmen used to live there, there are cave painting that are thousands of years old.