Friday, August 8, 2008

Adaptation

Although I don’t believe in evolution, I DO rationally believe in evolution/adaptation of species!!! Yet, it’s my belief and faith that such evolvement is God’s gift to help us cope with changing times and trends.

Now maybe my Narwhal belief isn’t quite so rational, but it goes back to a song my father used to sing to me, because it amused him how upset I got. It was a song about the unicorns missing the ark!! But when I learned about narwhals – I COMPLETELY believed that God merely adapted the unicorn to be marine animals ☺

Tis silly I know – but it’s the silly that keeps us laughing when things are difficult.

So it’s incredible how an entire nation can adapt to a lifestyle dictated by an impossible economy and it’s a lifestyle the west will never understand. I didn’t two weeks ago –and I’m just BEGINNING to scratch the surface.

To merely gather the necessary items for one’s household requires patience, persistence, good math skills and an ABSOLUTE sense of good humour!!! Something as seemingly simple as getting potatoes or carrots – well that can be picked up from any person on the side of the road. There is this precious woman who sells roasted peanuts on our corner on Sundays, for 30million per cup (roughly 30 cents). Needless to say we filled up a gallon bag and will continue to on Sundays. I noticed she does beautiful crochet work. She wasn’t griping or whining or even outwardly resentful to me as I obviously had the means she did not…she was simply doing what she knows to do. And she exuded a peace and gentleness.

Similar to what used to be the situation in Eastern Europe (before the joy of Tesco’s), one could spend a full weekend going from store to store or calling around to see who is selling milk or eggs. There is a tribal wind, an interdependency that I discovered when I was sick and recovering from cancer. It’s a facet that has been deeply missing from my life and “happiness” isn’t the word I would choose, but there is a growing joy about learning it. To daily HAVE to practice submission and surrender, to admit weakness.

And yes I’m still “new” and doubtless there will be days ahead where I cry in quiet frustration to myself over the unbalanced-ness of it all. But for now, I choose resounding faith and wonderment.